Lawyers in Business was founded by Mark Prebble in 1998. Emma Wilson and Richard Norman are consultants with Lawyers in Business.
What we do
- Act as freelance in-house lawyers
- Coach in-house lawyers on an individual or collective basis
- Support in-house departments on projects
- Consult on management and performance issues
- Run training courses and workshops, both our own and for other providers such as CLT, Euromoney and Hawksmere
Just some of the Legal Departments who have used us:
Allianz Cornhill, Chelsea Building Society, De Beers, ENI, Heinz, Royal Bank of Scotland , Singapore Exchange, Shell, Watson Wyatt, Wyeth
Contact us if you would like to speak to any of our clients about what we did.
During his 21 years as an employed in-house lawyer, Mark worked for ICI and The BOC Group plc in the UK , and Biogen and SGS in Switzerland . He held the positions of General Counsel at SGS and Group Legal Adviser at The BOC Group plc.
Since 1998 when he established Lawyers in Business, Mark has worked with in-house legal departments, providing coaching and support for in-house lawyers, wherever located, on management issues, legal department performance and projects involving raising legal awareness.
Mark runs workshops for in-house lawyers in Europe and Asia . He has worked with event organisers such as PLC, Central Law Training, Hawksmere, Euromoney and Falconbury.
He also undertakes project management work for businesses, which have no legal department and interim management of legal departments. He has written “Managing In-house Legal Services” and “Right in It – where in-house lawyers should be.”
After a law degree from Cambridge University and four years in private practice at Allen & Overy, Emma chose to move in-house, attracted by the more commercially focussed approach to practising law in that environment.
A number of in-house roles followed:
- Legal Director for Hasbro Europe, the multinational toy and games company, managing a broad portfolio of European legal issues.
- Legal Director for Peregrine Systems, a US software company, with the task of creating its first European legal team.
- Head of Group Legal for PA Consulting Group, managing a team of fourteen legal staff world-wide and responsible for all commercial legal issues affecting the group globally.
Most recently he held the position of Vice President, Legal and Corporate Affairs for Dell Inc. from 1993 to 2006 where he built up and managed the 40-strong European legal team from inception as well as establishing the Asia Pacific Legal Department.
He was a key member of Dell’s European Management Team and played a significant role in the multi-billion dollar growth of the EMEA business. He was a member of General Counsel’s executive staff and also managed Government Relations issues in individual countries and with the EU in Brussels.
Richard joined Dell from Tektronix, Inc. where he was European Legal Counsel based in Switzerland. Previously he worked for Hoover Plc and Grand Metropolitan Plc in London.
He is a solicitor of the Supreme Court of England and Wales, with both Masters and Bachelor of Law degrees from University College, London.